Nijmegen is a lively university city with a great atmosphere. Looking for a cozy pub or cafe, a bit of culture or a great night out? Nijmegen has all this and more. Keen on sport or nature? Nijmegen has loads of sports clubs and is surrounded by beautiful forests full of hiking and bicycle trails.
Old city, young vibe
Old city, young vibe. That's the Nijmegen slogan. Which is fitting because it's the oldest city in the Netherlands and at the same time a vibrant university city. Film, music, literature, dance, theatre, stand-up comedy, sport, nature: you can find it here. With a population of around 170,000, Nijmegen is large enough to have everything you could wish for. But it's also relaxed, cozy and tolerant.
Nijmegen is famous for its annual international walking event: the Four Days Marches. Each year in July over 40,000 people from all over the world take part. In the same week is the Vierdaagsefeesten. That's a free, open festival with over 1,000 performances on 40 different stages.
Curious about the vibe in Nijmegen? Check it out below!
- Waalstrand: The best place to be in Nijmegen during the summer. Music. Refreshing drinks. Good vibes. Do check the weather forecast before you head out.
- This could be you, relaxing at the Waalstrand after a day of studying.
- Go out for a drink at one of the many cozy cafes and bars in Nijmegen.
- Want to wind down after class? Have a picnic? You can find lots of greenery around town - for example, at the Kronenburgerpark.
- Need new clothes? Electronics? A bike? Nijmegen has got you covered.
- Old city, young vibe: Nijmegen is the oldest city in the Netherlands.
- Nijmegen has multiple train stations. It's easy to make your way around campus and town.
Student association ESN
Want to make the most our of your studies abroad? Join ESN (Erasmus Student Network) Nijmegen. Get in touch with new people. Join fun activities. Make new friends for life!
What does it cost to rent a student room in Nijmegen? Can HAN help me find a room? When should you start looking for a place? Find the answers to all of your questions on our Housing page.
Public transport in Nijmegen
How do you get around town and campus? Where do you buy tickets for the train or bus? Read all about it on our public transport page.
Cost of living
Moving to the Netherlands for your studies? Find out what it costs to study on our Cost of Living page. Including valuable tips and tricks for students to save money!
Dining & drinking
There are endless options for dining and drinking in Nijmegen. What are the best places? Get inspired by Taste Nijmegen.
Online Open Day
The next Online Open Day is on 18 November. Want us to contact you when the registration opens? Just fill in the pre-registration form and we'll keep you posted! Want a sneak peek? Watch the recordings of our previous Online Open Day in March.