HAN.nl 1st place in website ranking
As in previous years, HAN's website scored highly in the ranking for higher education. HAN.nl was ranked 1st for universities of applied sciences and 3rd in the overall ranking for higher education. Last year HAN ended 2nd. The presentation of the ranking took place on 21 June during the day of Excellence at Delft University of Technology. Ron Bormans, president of HAN's governing board, accepted the prize.
The 1st place in the ranking for universities was Tilburg University. The difference with HAN was minimal. The websites were assessed by students and professionals based on quality and defined in 5 parts. The sites were all subjected to a technical scan. View the presentation of the research.
The parts (including HAN’s score)
- Contents 78%
- Accessibility 76%
- Vormgeving 69%
- Social media 70%
- Technology 58%
- Total score 70%
HAN is pleased with this positive assessment. The president of the Governing Board, Ron Bormans, accepted the prize in person. HAN continually works on improving the website. Since the previous benchmark the following has been realised:
- In terms of content, the site has been enriched with the 'Research and Consultancy' part. This part of the website expresses HAN's ambition to intensify its research activities and explicitly make a connection with the professional field;
- 3 components, so-called ‘worlds’ of the site, have been transferred to better comply with web guidelines, SEO (Search Engine Optimalisation), usability (user-friendliness) and at the same time ensure simplified management. The component Bachelors courses is still waiting for these adaptations;
- On 1 June 'Courses in figures' was launched. As a result, prospective students can see at one glance what a programme has to offer. The assessment of the benchmark probably took place before the launch, however.
HAN considers de site HAN.nl as an important resource for prospective students (high school students and professionals) in the process of choosing a study. Quality is at the forefront of this process. For this reason, HAN initiated and participated in the development and launch of `Course in Figures'.
The jury assessed HAN.nl as follows:
- Contents You score highly on the quality and content of your website. The content of your website is seen as both relevant, understandable and complete by the target group;
- Accessibility: The accessibility of the information on your website is good. The good structure is especially valued and the website loads quite quickly. The structure, navigation and user friendliness score well. The only disadvantage is that the search function can only be found on the homepage;
- Design: The design of your website is appealing and suitable for your institution. Visitors like the design of your website;
- Social Media: You are making excellent progress in the field of social media. You have active pages on several social media and this is incorporated in your website. You could improve the location of the integration so that it is even more visible;
- Technology: For the underlying technology of your website you score above average, but there is certainly room for further improvement. You could improve the accessibility guidelines;
- Total verdict: The general assessment is that your performance on the web is good. The content of the website is fine, but in order to take better advantage of the current trends, you could do more with technology and social media.
From the jury report: 'This website has a clear structure and decision process, which is well supported by interactive menus. Social media are in a prominent position at the right time.'